Sunday, March 28, 2010

Blessed Be The Name

I like to listen to praise and worship music. In fact, if I'm listening to music at all, it's praise and worship. I used to listen to other kinds of music, but several years ago When I got heavily into the Faith movement, I began to understand the power of words.

Then I began to pay attention to the lyrics of the songs I was listening to and even singing along with. And, I realized that something had to change.


Now, I know there are those who think I take things to the extreme. In fact, 15 years ago, had I seen someone the way I am now, I probably would have labeled them a fanatic. Go back even further than that, and I would have labeled them a "born again" and not meant that in a complimentary way.

Now, don't get me wrong, I was a Christian. I was raised a Christian and gave my life to Jesus at a young age. But, I always retained some "independence".

Anyway, back to "Blessed by the Name". This is a really catchy song sung by Casting Crowns. I like Casting Crowns. They have great voices, I like the musicianship in their songs, and their songs are fun to sing along to... hence, the problem.

There is one particular phrase in this song that is just plain wrong. How do I know it's wrong? Because the man who originally stated it in the bible, Job, even admitted that he was wrong about God.

The phrase is "You give and take away". Putting this into context, Job wasn't just having a bad day, he was having a bad life. Everything he held near and dear to him had been stripped away... his home, his children, his health. All he seemed to have left was a wife harping at him to curse God and die, and an unbelievable run of "bad luck".

Still, to his credit, Job wouldn't curse God. But, let's take a closer look at the story of Job.

Job was a man living in fear. And, as we know, fear is the opposite of faith. It is, in fact, faith in evil instead of good. When things began to go wrong, Job even admitted:

For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.
  -- Job 3:25

Something within him told him it wasn't God who brought disaster into his life, but his own fear. Finally, at the end of the book of Job, he admits:

Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.
  -- Job 42:3 

Then, when Job stood out of God's way, an amazing thing happened... God blessed him. In fact, we are told that his latter days were blessed even more than the former. Because God doesn't take away.

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
  -- John 10:10 

So, sing "Blessed be the Name" if you want. Sometimes I do. But, I always change the words in the chorus to "You give and give always."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... please share.