Saturday, June 26, 2010

Humbled and Amazed

It's been a while since I've written. I was going through a bit of a storm in my life. For me, that means its time to "hunker down" into the Word and make sure that everything that is going into my soul through the eyes, ears, and being spoken out of my mouth is aligned with the Word of God. 

In order for that to be the case, sometimes its easier to just remain silent. I've found that when I'm in the thick of things, it takes more effort to guard my words (James 3:8 "but the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.") than it takes to just shut up.



These are the times when I'm convinced I could live my life quite happily as a hermit... never having to see or be seen by anyone... 

So, I listened to the Word and listened to the Word and listened to the Word... and then I listened to the Word some more. At times I even skipped going to church (sorry, Pastor Tom, but I think you'll understand!). Instead, I stayed home with my iPod in my ears so that I could hear the Word non-stop.

And I have to tell you, 
God has done some truly amazing things in my life!

My financial situation for all the world seemed desperate. Yet, I knew that because that was visible, it was also temporal--in other words, subject to change. (2 Corinthians 4:18 "for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.")

No matter what the "reality" was that I was experiencing, the Truth is that I am blessed to be a blessing (Genesis 12:2), that everything I set my hands to is blessed (Deuteronomy 28:8), and that God has provided all things that pertain to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3).

I stood on God's promise that no matter what it looks like, my needs are met and men give unto me good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over. (Luke 6:38) I knew I needed to do what I knew to do until full manifestation showed up.

I went to a special prayer session at Fellowship of Christians (not my regular church, but they are doing some amazing community outreach right now) and asked them to stand with me.

And I listened...
(sometimes we forget about that part)

I stumbled on a contest for people in debt. I took an on-line course and submitted a video about what I had learned from the program and what I had changed as a result.

The contest was in two parts: submit your video and have the public, family, friends vote; and then the folks at InCharge Debt Solutions would select the winner from the top 15 videos.

I didn't realize the submission/public voting were both due by midnight on April 30th. So, when I submitted my video, it was 8 hours before the voting would end.

My friends were amazing! In that 8 hours, I went from last place to 3rd place in the public vote. I made the first cut.

Three weeks later, InCharge notified me that I had been selected as the "unofficial" winner. On June 1st, it was official. I had won $10,000 to be applied directly to my debt. Talk about good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over!

I was further blessed by a neighbor who offered to bush hog my land (something I hadn't been able to afford to have done in 2 years!) and I could pay him whenever I could.

As Pastor Tom would say, "Am I bragging?"  Yes!  But, not on me.  I'm bragging about my Father and how he takes care of our needs -- always -- abundantly, extravagantly, WAY over the top!

Just wanted to share the good news. No, not the good news for me, but the good news for everyone. This is the kind of expectation we should have when we have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior. We should expect God's favor, and the favor of our fellow man, to be showered on us daily. It is, after all, what he has promised. 

Do you believe God? Really? Then start counting your blessings, right now, today. Not just the ones you can see, but the ones you can't see yet. They are just out of sight in the spiritual realm waiting for you to call them into physical existence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... please share.