Monday, January 2, 2012

Light




Day 2: Today I am thankful for Light.  

Of course, this can have a whole variety of meanings... Thankful for the light of day. As I often do, especially on mornings when I don't have to get up at a particular time to go somewhere (work, church, etc.), I hit the snooze button when the alarm goes off at 5:00 am, and allow the light to wake me up (usually around 7:00 am). It's a wonderful, peaceful way to start the day. At some point, I would love to have my life and work reach the point where this can just be my normal routine.



The light could also represent the sun. Besides the sun giving light, it always gives warm, of course, and nourishment (Vitamin D, others?). It helps to sustain life here on earth. It grows vegetation that we then eat.

Other forms of light are fire and electricity. Electricity gives us light in the darkness and allows us to do many things that we would be unable to do, or would be more difficult to do, absent the light. Fire not only gives light and warmth, but also burns away trash, dead grass and vegetation, clears and purifies.

There is the "light" of knowledge. The light-bulb over the head, AHA moment. Discerning of truth. Separation of fact from fiction.

Then, of course, there is the ultimate Light -- the Light of the world. Jesus who came to save us from lives of sin and darkness.

So many wonderful symbols of light -- the lighthouse that guides a ship through a storm and keeps it from destruction by crashing against the rocks, and leads it to a safe harbor.

Then there are other meanings of "light" as in "my burden is light", "lightening the load" or being "light-hearted".

Jesus told us that we are to let our light shine. Lights were meant to shine, not to be hidden. In this new year, I recommit myself to letting my light shine. To being that lighthouse in the storm drawing others to a brighter life filled with promise. I don't want to forget to "Son"gaze. It is by keeping my focus on him, and by following his example that my life and circumstances will be filled with light.

Of course, this doesn't mean there won't be any problems -- and this is where, I think, so many people stumble and lose their faith. Following God's Word and standing on His promises does not mean that we will have problem-free lives. There will be trouble in the world. Experiencing a sickness, a problem, or a challenge does not mean that I have failed. It simply means I'm still living in a cursed earth. Jesus never said we would not have problems. He did promise that a house built on a firm foundation would be able to withstand any storm.

It is not the problem that indicates where we are, it is how we respond to the problem that shows where we are in our walk with Christ. It is learning to look not at what we can see, but at what we can't see; it is naming not what we are going through, but what is on the other side; it is calling things that are not to bring to naught the things that are. That is walking by faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... please share.